No photo available.Menu Next
To take a shortcut to Broomfield Park, turn left outside the Cherry Tree and walk down Cannon Hill, crossing Selbourne Road and Cannon Road. Cross Alderman's Hill at the traffic lights, turn left and then right into the park. Follow the path straight ahead and around the top of the park to the walled garden.
Alternatively, cross Cannon Hill at the zebra crossing and walk across the green and along Waterfall Road to Christ Church on the left. The entrance to the graveyard is a little further on the left (not wheelchair-accessible).
Christ Church was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and built in 1861-63 by the Walker family, replacing the Weld Chapel of 1615. It has windows by the pre-Raphaelite artists William Morris, Ford Madox Brown, Dante Gabriel Rossetti and Edward Burne-Jones. The small churchyard is reached through an iron gate, and is a triangular site with a holly hedge along the roadside, and a brick wall behind. It contains specimen trees, such as Corsican pine, holm oak and a notable cedar of Lebanon. There are a number of early headstones among the grass, including that of Rebecca Shrawley (d.1683) with skulls and an hourglass. The tombstone of John Donnithorne Taylor of Grovelands is here too, marked only with the initials ‘JDT’.