Continue along the river path to the end of the park. The small drainage tunnel visible over the wall is what is left of Hammersmith Creek, filled in in 1936. Looking inland, the raised bed is all that is left of the floral clock which was outside the original entrance to the 1930s town hall. The town hall is now abandoned as it looks on to the Great West Road, laid across the site in 1956.
Walk towards the Town Hall, and turn left down Dove Passage. After you emerge onto the riverside Upper Mall, Kelmscott House is on the right.
William Morris lived at Kelmscott House for the last 18 years of his life. He wrote: "The situation is certainly the prettiest in London... the garden is really most beautiful".
The gardens have altered in size since Morris's time, though there is rarely an opportunity to view them. The small, shady, lower garden contains a variety of ferns, which thrive well in its micro-climate. The upper walled garden was replanted in 2007 and the largest garden contains a variety of roses, wild strawberries and a wonderful magnolia tree.
The lower floors of Kelmscott House are now the headquarters of the William Morris Society and contain a registered museum dedicated to his life and work. The museum is open on Thursdays and Saturdays 2–5pm, although the gardens are not normally open. The garden opens for Open Garden Squares Weekend.