Trinity Church Square was laid out between 1824 and 1832. The church of Holy Trinity, built 1823-24, was converted in 1975 for use as a concert hall, now known as the Henry Wood Hall. The gardens with their imposing central statue can be seen through fine decorative railings. The statue, of a kind on a stone pedestal, is late 14th century in style and was in place here by 1836. It is possibly one of a pair showing Alfred the Great and Edward the Black Prince, made for the garden of Carlton House in the 18th century. Flat at the back, it was probably designed for setting within a niche.