This was a promenade for the 1951 Festival of Britain and was retained as public open space when the Festival finished. In the centre of the County Hall complex is a courtyard with ornamental planting by the Marriott Hotel entrance.
Jubilee Gardens was the site of the Festival's main feature, the Dome of Discovery. Designed by Neville Conder and Stuart Taylor, the gardens were opened by the Queen in 1977. They were closed for five years in the 1990s while the Jubilee Line extension was being built and re-turfed prior to permanent new landscaping.
In December 2010 Lambeth Council approved proposals for re-landscaping Jubilee Gardens, giving the green light to plans to transform this high-profile open space into a new green landmark for London. The planning approval keeps the project on schedule for delivery in time for both the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The 2010 design was developed by landscape architects West 8 and is in essence a lush, green park, with flower beds of the highest quality and over 70 new trees. The overall mission is to create a park which is as soft and green as is sustainable.