The garden is on the site of the former churchyard and church of St John Zachary, which was partly destroyed in the Great Fire. In 1339, The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths had acquired land here and built the earliest recorded livery hall on this site. Following the destruction of part of the Company's property during WW2, in 1941, firewatchers laid out the first Goldsmiths' garden, which won Best Garden on a Blitzed Site in 1950. Anne Jennings redesigned the garden in 1995/96. The present multi-level garden includes mature trees, benches, lawn and a fountain. It relates well to the contemporary architecture of the adjoining Lloyds TSB building, which features box topiary on its terraces.